Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Fame; Lady GaGa



One of the most impact making albums released in the history of music has to be the very solid Lady GaGa's debut effort, The Fame. It received numerous rave reviews and has been an immense commercial success. The album did so much for GaGa. It literally propelled her into the ranks of fame and fortune at warp speed, this can be attirbuted specially to the amazing dance numbers, 'Pokerface' and 'Just Dance'. The latter being the debut single of the mega-star, featuring guest vocals from Colby O'Donis.

The album is a true pop record to the core with blazing dance anthems, jump-start floor bangers and a few heart wrenching ballads. All the while being embedded with fierce techno beats and crazy catchy hooks. The albums has spawned six singles, three of which have four have gone to become chart-toppers; 'Just Dance', 'Pokerface', 'LoveGame' and 'Paparazzi'. 


The track-listing for the record are as follows;

  1. Just Dance ft. Colby O'Donis
  2. LoveGame
  3. Paparazzi
  4. Beautiful, Dirty, Rich
  5. (Eh Eh) Nothing Else I Can Say
  6. Pokerface
  7. The Fame
  8. Money Honey
  9. Again Again
  10. Boys Boys Boys
  11. Brown Eyes
  12. Summerboy 
  13. I Like It Rough (Bonus Track)
  14. Starstruck ft. Space Cowboy & Flo Rida (Bonus Track)
  15. Paper Gangsta (Bonus Track)
I remembered watching Channel V sometime in the summer nights of May around 3am when they show-cased the video for 'Just Dance'. By the time the song had ended I was hooked on it. They showed it again on the following day and then I knew that I need to download it now. 


By 5pm I distinctively remember having it on my iPod by 5pm on the same day, bless the infinite source of wisdom and fun a.k.a internet. After that I was pretty much following any GaGa related news. When her album released on August 19th, I downloaded it instantly and played it back to back. And I can truly say it was one of my favorite albums from 2008.


I'm still hooked on the songs 'Just Dance', 'Pokerface' and 'LoveGame'. It's been a stable of the audio CD I keep burning to play for my car. These are no doubt my favorite tracks from the album, along with the ballad 'Brown Eyes'. 


Speaking of ballads, 'Again Again' is also really good. For an artist who's staple creativity is vented out in the form of dance anthems, a decent ballad is a very good thing. A fantastic ballad is simply an amazing deal. Lady GaGa can do it all no doubt.


'Paparazzi' is another favorite of mine, but it took time to grow on me and for some reason I prefer the LIVE! versions alot more than the one on the record, you guys can check out the video over here. The video is no doubt one of the very best that have appeared in 2009, it's so creative and original. Everything from the Mickey Mouse inspired get-up to the metal-plated armor with crutches. I really don't know what fuels her but whatever it is, it burns bright baby!


'(Eh Eh)Nothing Else I Can Say' is an interesting track no doubt, however it doesn't have the huge impact on me. I would rather have one of the ballads as a single. It seems to be a cross-over to soft pop but somehow I think GaGa can do alot better than this. Firstly because there are several tracks on this album that out-class it and there are several tracks to be revealed later which leave this one in the dust.


'Beautiful, Dirty, Rich' is nothing but catchy catchy catchy. From the moment it starts, it literally starts slipping of the tip of your tongue. The only two songs catchier than this are 'Poker Face' and 'LoveGame', especially the later. To the few dance parties I attended, these three were often present somewhere along the playlist. Definite crowd pleaser!


Colby O'Donis is not the only musician making an appearance on the record. Close personal friend of GaGa, the Space Cowboy and Flo Rida both make an appearance on the track, 'Starstruck'. Too bad this was a bonus track, had it been featured on the album itself I am very much sure it could have been a single. The other two bonus tracks are also pretty cool, 'Paper Gangsta' is a catchy track. I would definitely recommend it. Oh wait, I already have! :p


'Money Honey' and 'The Fame' pretty much revolve around the same concept. It's about the love and longing for the high and fast life-style, the never-ending parties and the desire to have it all. Lady GaGa is definitely one of the most powerful new-age songwriters. The only other person I can think of who writes very good song on her own is the original punk rock chick, P!NK


Having emerged in mid-2008, Lady GaGa very quickly became the most-talked about and the most sought-after musician in just a matter of few days. Her record was simply her and I think that was the most important factor of all. Great producers can do alot but not everything. For the rest, it's up to the artist himself/herself. After writing for several musical acts, GaGa got her shot at fame and she made nothing but the absolute best out of it!


Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; saadkhalidkhan@gmail.com)

2 comments:

Josh Diaz said...

I LOVEEED THIS ALBUM.. Like i just bought THE FAME MONSTER DELUXE and i can't stop hearing both cds.. they're both amazing.. The Fame Monster being more mature off course :)

great review!

Saadi said...

@ Josh Diaz

Yeah.....that one is cmng up soon here as well! :D

Fame Monster is most def. the best album this yr! :D

Thanks fr the comment!

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails