Friday, December 4, 2009

Battlefield; Jordin Sparks



One of the most anticipated summer releases of 2009 was the sophomore effort of the 19 year old American Idol Season 6 winner. Her debut album generated the lowest first week sales of any Idol winner. However it also stayed for considerable time amongst the radio-waves, this success can be attributed largely to the collaboration with the young hip-hop and R&B sensation, Chris Brown, on 'No Air'. By the way, he is also releasing an album this year. Titled Graffiti, out on December 8th.


Battlefield released on July 17th, features a much stronger Sparks. However the album leaves much to be desired. Sparks is a pretty darn good vocal artist, however to give her the commercial appeal her label has dampened the artist inside of her. Truly being a R&B artist, Sparks was pushed to cross-over to pop. Her previous album though was a mix of the two genres as well, but was more rooted to Sparks. 


The standard edition has twelve tracks, with the deluxe edition adding two more to the group. The track listing is as follows;


  1. Walking On Snow
  2. Battlefield
  3. Don't Let It Go To Your Head
  4. S.O.S. (Let the Music Play)
  5. It Takes More
  6. Watch You Go
  7. No Parade
  8. Let It Rain
  9. Emergency (911)
  10. Was I the Only One
  11. Faith
  12. Cure
  13. Papercut (Deluxe Edition)
  14. Postcard (Deluxe Edition)
If someone would ask me to rate this album out of 10, I would give it 6.5. And I really hate doing that to Sparks, but this album just doesn't give me the spark I was expecting from her. My biggest argument with the record is that why was Sparks made to cross-over to pop?! 


'Walking On Snow', 'Battlefield', 'It Takes More', 'Watch You Go' and 'No Parade' are the real tracks off the record. The ones that hold Sparks' true element in form. The pop ballad 'Papercut' is a surprising pleaser as well. 'Battlefield' which has the genius touch of One Republic frontman Ryan Tedder is a brilliant piece of pop and the only pop number which seems to get some credit. If they wanted Sparks to fight for the title of Princess of Pop, they should have gotten Tedder to put more effort into the record and give Sparks some more song. 


'Battlefield' is most definitely one of the best songs of 2009 and I'm totally recommending you to listen to it. 'No Parade' and 'It Takes More' are two other songs, I would be recommending here. Do check them out!


One track I was particularly surprised of was the cover version of Fefe Dobson's rock wonder 'Don't Let It Go To Your Head'. I just don't get what their label was thinking of making Sparks do a cover version. If I wanted to hear her sing covers, I would go back to the time she was on Idol. Taking a pretty darn good song and making a cross-over pop singer try a hand at it is not a very smart move. Dobson clearly outclasses her and there isn't much Sparks can do about it. Dobson is vocally very superior. If you are interested in Spark's version of the song, check it out here.


Another track that has me baffled is 'S.O.S. (Let the Music Play)'. It appears that the label tested how Sparks would do as a dance artist. Relying heavily on techno beats, it gives a touch of disco fever. I do like the song but I'm not crazy about it. Sparks could do well as a dance artist but then give a chimpanzee a mike and go techno, so would he. Remember the dude who claims his music can cure cancer?!


I'm not a fan at all of the songs 'Emergency (911)', 'Postcard' and 'Was I the Only One?'. Lyrically speaking, they seem completely useless. And therefore really hold no weight for me. Especially the first of three! I gave it one listen and I wanted to erase it from my memory. I know I'm being really critical but it's just not worthy of Sparks.


'The Cure' is okay, nothing really special about it that makes me want to go back to it again but then I don't skip it either. I also have a decent amount of liking for 'Faith', but I want R&B. I do not want pop. Sparks gives it her best shot and put her heart and soul into the piece, but even then she's no pop artist. 


Sparks is possibly one of the most under-rated artist currently present in the music industry. This can be clearly evaluated from the fact that her label has yet to organize a tour with her as the head-lining act. She won American Idol and you are having her be the supporting act for the Jonas Brothers. It doesn't make any sense at all. They have yet to promote it the correct way, singing National Anthem at Super Bowl is not album promotion. Spend a little bit more on music videos so it doesn't seem like some kid with a handy-cam made them (Referring to Battlefield) and plan them abit more as well S.O.S (Let the Music Play). 


And for the sweet love of Lord, no cover versions! Hopefully this all would change with her third record. I really hope there is a third record, I would really hate to see such a talent being shot down because of the label's short-sight.




Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; saadkhalidkhan@gmail.com)

6 comments:

Josh Diaz said...

I think this album is better than her first one.. It's so sad that it's been a flop and i th ink it's because of the lack of promotion!!

My face are No Parade, Emergency and Walking On Snow :)
Nice reviewwwww!

Saadi said...

@ Josh

Lack of promotion is definitely a down-side....she deserves so much better!!

I wish her 3rd album does alot better!!

Josephine said...

Hey Saadi,
She is probably a great performer and I happen to like her title song. It could be the marketing glitch or maybe there is not much room left on the top... after all American Idol produces a potential star every year. How many of them can the audience absorb...? I wish her well.
Your review is superb!!
-Alex

Saadi said...

@ Alex

Whoa, that's something I really didn't consider!!

U presented another side of the story really well!!

N thanks for dropping by! :)

The Write Girl said...

I've been away for a few days but I must respect this review...I like your critical analysis of this album. Always fun reading your posts Saadi : )

Saadi said...

@ Write Girl

Thanks!! I logged in after sooo many days..can't wait to c wat new stuff u got up!

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails