Sunday, August 23, 2009

Funhouse; P!NK


Being a pop-crazy person, I've always looked forward to the records that P!NK puts out. When she released her debut album back in 2000, Can't Take Me Home, but it was more R&B. She earned herself a spot on my favorites after her second album, M!ssundaztood got releeased. It was then, that she really my world by storm. And ever since she's just been getting better and better!

Her fifth studio album Funhouse is no exception. Being released sometime in October 2008, I made sure I have it within 24 hours of it's release time - and I managed it! And it was just in one listen that bought me back to the immense love I have for P!NK!

Though her album are generally built around the same themes, but even then once you've heard her stuff you realize she has made progress. She isn't the cookie-cutter pop princess image, and that's great! That's the thing about her I love the most; she's darn unpredictable and totally herself! At this time when there are a million others new artists coming out, P!NK still kicks some major butt in the music industry.

The track listing of Funhouse are as follows;
  1. So What
  2. Sober
  3. I Don't Believe You
  4. One Foot Wrong
  5. Please Don't Leave Me
  6. Bad Influence
  7. Funhouse
  8. Crystal Ball
  9. Mean
  10. It's All Your Fault
  11. Ave Mary A
  12. Glitter In The Air
  13. This Is How It Goes Down ft. Travis McCoy (Bonus Track)
  14. Could've Had Everything (Bonus Track)
  15. Why Did I Ever Like You (Bonus Track)
  16. Boring (Bonus Track)
'So What' is the most entertaining track from the entire album, therefore the album starts off brilliantly. The best thing about the whole song besides having an awesome video, is her calling her husband a 'tool'. 'Bad Influence' is another track along the same lines, though it is something I'd expect more from a Britney Spears record but P!NK has done it justice. It's fun! It's rebellious! It's crazy! A guarantee crowd pleaser!!

Another foot stomper from the album is the track 'Funhouse', under the same name as the album. Indeed this track is the latest single from the album and is the absolutely bomb. Lately this song has been making alot more sense to me as a few facts have dawned on me. P!NK, you speak directly from my heart! 'Please Don't Leave Me' is another purely rock track where she describes another side of her relationship with her ex-husband, the same person who inspired the opening track of the album.

P!NK exposes her vunerable side more than ever before in the power ballads like 'Sober', 'I Don't Believe You', 'Crystal Ball' and 'Glitter in the Air'. All of these songs bring forward her softer but still a very powerful side. In these track P!NK revels about the mistakes people make, the things they take for granted and the love they refuse to let go. The first two are amongst my all time favorites, and remind me alot of '
Who Knew' from her fourth studio album I'm Not Dead. All of these are immensely beautiful and very thought provoking. Like I said earlier, P!NK exposes her vunerability letting down her rebellious front. The result is just something beyond amazing.

'Ave Mary A' is a track much samilar to 'Dear Mr. President' from her I'm Not Dead as well. It's related to the social issues and the bigger problems facing the world. It's amazing how she can fit it all into a song, without much difficulty. I definitely wouldn't mind a few one on one session with her on song writing.

P!NK goes slightly more uptempo with more guitar play on tracks like 'One Foot Wrong', 'Mean' and 'It's All Your Fault' but keeps the sensitivity of the song alive through out the verses. It's during the chorus that she bursts into her punk side and gives her big lungs a real exercise in going up and down and belting it out.

The bonus track 'This Is How It Goes Down' which featues Travis McCoy is another track I feel I'm more likely to find Britney lending her voice too. But P!NK has changed it more to her comfort by adding her punk spice to it. Seriously, is there anything she can't do?!

The bonus track 'Could've Had Everything' and 'Why Did I Ever Like You' are two other tracks that have all her neccesary elements packed in three minutes(Give or take a few) but there is nothing about them that's going to make you sit and take notice. Even for bonuses, there is nothing special about them.

Now the last bonus track 'Boring' is the exact opposite of the title. It's pretty darn good! P!NK is a complete sassy version of herself with a power pop chorus, she brings nothing but her best forward. The album could have accomodated one more track and been even better - but I'm not complaining because I absolutely love the album!

With her fifth album out and hitting the stores, she shows no signs of stopping for a breather! She's going high! She's going strong! Forever P!NK!

Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; saadkhalidkhan@gmail.com)

4 comments:

Opaque said...

Ahem! Nice review!

Saadi said...

@ Brosreview

Thanks!

LazyKing said...

WOW, great review. I've listenned to this album too, I love her and her supporting tour is amazing.
My favorite track is Please dont leave me

Saadi said...

@ Lazyking

It's hard to pick a favorite when it comes to P!NK!

Thanks for the visit!

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails