Monday, March 30, 2009

Livin' It; Brian Melo




Livin’ It is the debut album of Brain Melo. He’s the winner of the fifth season of Canadian Idol. I always loved his performances during his time on Idol, he was the best one in that particular year no doubt. So it was natural that I expected huge expectation from his album. And it is no surprise that he signed, sealed and delivered it to the spot.


Firstly let me say that, I’m a huge fan of whoever designed the cover of his album. I really love yellow patterned background. The album starts of with the track Shine On which also happens to be the first single of the album. It received a fair amount of airplay on the radio but sadly it didn’t get a video. Melo gives his vocals are real exercise around the chorus when the music gets loud. This is a great starter for the album. For one thing I’m glad he didn’t start off the album with some love ballad.


Back To Me is the second track off the album. This is my second most favorite track off the album. The wordings of the song are hard hitting. Melo sticks to his rock roots firmly here as it was noted in the finale when he performed Bon Jovis’ This Ain’t A Love Song. Another thing I like a lot about this song in particular is the style is somewhat also leaning a bit towards the soulful side of Melo. Good going.


The winning single All I Ever Wanted is the third track from the album. I remember hearing this for the first time in the finale and falling in love with it on the spot. This is my favorite winner single so far from all the winners of Canadian Idol. The lyrics are very fitting to the idea behind the song. The arrangement of the melody is slightly different from the one that was sung in the finale, it’s far better. But I guess this docks off some point on Melo as many criticized his ability to perform LIVE! Personally the accusation seemed absurd to me since he’s been performing in front of million of people for twelve weeks and at many times received standing ovation from the judges and crowd. This is a must listen, people. A must listen!


Summertime is a slow tempo ballad where Melo tells about the sad tale of loosing a loved one. I would have rather had Melo do this song on a faster beat that is noticed more prominently around the part where the chorus starts. It’s good but not great. Melo has better tracks on the album.


The sixth track I Gave You All My Life is another memorable track from the album. Melo does a wonderful job on this track and gives a moving performance. It’s no surprise to me that Melo is probably the best of all the winners so far we have gotten from Canadian Idol. This track got some serious competition from the very next track Obvious as the most moving track from the album. Obvious is the seventh track off the album. It’s the second track which got me hooked on instantly. I still can’t place quite exactly why I kept doing that but I love this song a lot. Melo delivers a powerful delivery around the part of the chorus. I’m surprised they haven’t released this song as a single. These two power ballads are the perfect sound for Melo.


Livin’ It is the first up tempo song from the album. It’s odd Melo decided to title the album off this song but it’s a good choice. One thing about Melo that I had centered on from the first time I heard him was how much he sounds like Chris Daughtry from the fifth season of American Idol(Ironic, isn’t it?) and this song proved my point to the last few who weren’t convinced of it. The song goes on about Melo telling what a good move it was on his part not to listen to the discouraging word of others.


The eighth track off the album Stay caught me completely off guard. For one thing the way it starts with a lot of rapid distorted music seems much like a metal song to me. Even then this track is one of my more favorite tracks off the album. I absolutely love the wording off this song more than any other song off the album and in the upcoming album I’m seriously hoping Melo goes in this direction more and completely diverts from his pop side. This style seems to suit him a lot.


Century is the ninth track off the album. Personally it’s the weakest track from the album. I felt absolutely nothing at all. Infact I fell asleep listening to it. This one does no magic for me I would have loved another track like All I Ever Wanted or Stay.


Half As Good As You is the most moving track off the album. The lyrics are really beautiful. Melo tells us how he would like more to be like his father. My father and I share a passion for music; he is not very much into the current artist except for a few. I told him to give this one a listen on Father’s Day last year and he loved it a lot. It’s one of the slowest track off the album but I absolutely love it.


She Moves Me is the most puzzling track off the album. I still haven’t quite gotten what it’s about. It’s decent but nothing about it made me listen to it again and again. I didn’t quite find home in this song. Hence the reaction to it is pretty much as I had upon hearing Century.


Emily is the pretty good closing track to the journey Melo takes us on. Melo once again embraces his softer side in this song. The guitar notes are really simple and go well along with the easy going flow of the song.


Melo has done a pretty good job on his part. Song BMG hasn’t taken much credit off the album and therefore didn’t bother charting singles from the album. His second album is coming up soon and I’m hoping it’s even better than this one.


Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; mailto:saadikk87@hotmail.com)




4 comments:

The Write Girl said...

Hey Saadi,

I've never seen Canadian Idol before : )
Thanks for sharing this artist with me.

Saadi said...

@ Write Girl

I just keep an eye on the winners.

Thanks for the view.

Take care.

Opaque said...

Not a clue of who he is. However, your review reveals that the album is all right. Should I give it a listen? I am not so sure. What do you think Saadi?

Saadi said...

Many don't! Canadian Idol is not that popular; often being regarded as a cheap knock-off!

I'd recommend that you lend an ear to "Obvious", "Stay", "Half As Good As You" & "All I Ever Wanted"!

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails