Thursday, September 17, 2009

My December; Kelly Clarkson


Clarkson's third studio album My December was released on 20th June' 2007. Despite being surrounded amidst tremendous controversies behind it's production and songwriting, the album fared pretty well. It's critical reception was was diverse with some sources calling it the best Clarkson offered in musical diversity, while others commenting that it lacks the pop gusto of her second album Breakaway.

Despite all this the album sold extremely well and being the huge Clarkson fan I am, it's pretty obvious that I was there for it on the day it got released. The cover art is perfect given the content of the album, where most of the songs are dark and introspective, where Clarkson gives us a taste of the depressing times she was going through.

Clarskon co-wrote all of the songs that have appeared on the album, she specifically wanted the album to unfold like a story because that what she was trying to convey to her audience. The track listings is as follows;

  1. Never Again
  2. One Minute
  3. Hole
  4. Sober
  5. Don't Waste Your Time
  6. Judas
  7. Haunted
  8. Be Still
  9. Maybe
  10. How I Feel
  11. Yeah
  12. Can I Have a Kiss
  13. Irvine
While most of the album follows a strong rock trend, occasionally on some tracks like 'Sober', 'Be Still', 'Maybe' and 'Irvine' are completely soulful tracks. Clarkson has done an awesome job of putting down her heart in all of these tracks, 'Sober' is especially a treat to listen.

Still wanting to display her pop side, Clarkson has included tracks like 'Can I Have a Kiss', 'How I Feel' and 'Yeah'. These three songs are amongst my favorites from the album. While not only staying young, she has also not regressed to bubble hum pop that her label was expecting her to do. 'Can I Have a Kiss' is possibly the best of these three, so I'd definitely recommend you to lend an ear to it.

'Don't Waste Your Time' is the amalgam of pop and rock. Add Clarkson's rip tide vocals to it and you have an instant hit. I'm glad they promoted this song as a single, the video is one of the most awesome videos I've ever seen. Clarkson looks like a dream in red and the effects are just amazing.

'Never Again' which is the first single off the album is a complete rock song with Clarkson's powerhouse vocals. I would pity the person who gets on her wrong foot, she can definitely do some damage. 'One Minute', 'Haunted', 'Judas' and 'Hole' all can be found on the road of rock. 'Judas' is definitely a crazy track, I'm still addicted to it.

I'm glad Clarkson put down some rock songs and displayed the same side of her we saw during Breakway, only now it was clearly more mature. Clarkson's third studio effort is definitely worth adding to your collection. it's down right amazing!

Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; saadkhalidkhan@gmail.com)

No comments:

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails