Thursday, September 24, 2009

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend; Miranda Lambert


I had no idea about Miranda Lambert till about three months ago. I first got to know about her when I was driving down from Plano, TX to Shreveport, LA with my cousin. We were passing by this country side and there was nothing on the side of the roads except for occasional advertisement board and some dead animal that a passing car had run over, mostly anteaters.

It was on that journey when I first noticed her. And that intrigued me! Being very much into music I find it very surprising and also somewhat insulting when I come across an artist that I have no idea about. So I made a mental note of checking out her album as soon as my laptop went online the next time. And yes, I was successful! And yes, I loved it! It happens to be one of the most amazing country album I've ever heard! To all the people out there who love and live for country music, this is a must-listen for them!

Often it happens that the country album one hears have a touch of pop to them. The touch ranges from a simple tinge( Carrie Underwood) to a being painted all over( Taylor Swift). But it's nothing like that over here. It's a complete country record from the first track to the closing track. The good stuff! Completely Country!

The track listings is as follow;

  1. Dry Town
  2. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  3. Love Letters
  4. Desperation
  5. Down
  6. Guilty In Here
  7. Getting Ready
  8. Easy from Now On
  9. Nobody's Used To Be (Bonus Track)
  10. Girl Like Me (Bonus Track)
  11. Take it Out on Me (Bonus Track)
  12. I Just Really Miss You (Bonus Track)

Credits behind the song writing goes mostly to Miranda. She's either collaborated or written solely all of the tracks, except for 'Getting Ready' which is penned by Patty Griffins and 'Dry Town'.

Songs like 'Gunpowder & Lead', 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' and 'Down' come with a touch crazy. It's a mix of country and rock, with major guitar play. All of these songs accompany with banjo strings and heavy drumming. As mentioned earlier, they come with a touch of crazy. Miranda is a woman scorned; no, wait! Mke that a country chick scorned so expect wild and nasty things.

These are not the only up tempo tracks from the album. 'Dry Town', 'Famous in a Small Town' and 'Guilty In Here' come along the lines of typical country songs. But given Miranda's true to country voice, they're a treat all the same. I've heard of country albums before but something that is so authentic to country is a new taste for me.

'Getting Ready' is another up tempo track, and I'd place it somewhere between the two types of fast paced tracks I've mentioned earlier. But don't worry! It's darn good!

'Love Letters', 'Desperation', 'More Like Her' and 'Easy From Now On' are the songs in which one experiences the softer side of Miranda. Here she croones over lost love and memories long gone. 'Love Letters' and 'More Like Her' happen to be my two most favorite track off the album.

All the singles off the album have done an extremely good job, with three of them entering the Top 20 charts. The single produced under the same title as the album was the only single that failed to break into Top 20. And also there is no video about it!

Miranda Lambert third studio effort is set to be released just around the corner, September 29th. The two singles released have been blessed with major chart success. Given all this one can only expect great things from the Nashville Star finalist. Oh, she didn't win BUT is more successful than any other singer to have taken his/her roots from there.

Miranda Lambert, keep the good stuff coming....cuz I'm lov'in it! Yes, I'm having McDonalds as I'm writing this up!


Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; saadkhalidkhan@gmail.com)

2 comments:

Opaque said...

Hehe, nice way to end this piece. A good review!

Saadi said...

@ Brosreview

Thanks! :D

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails