Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In My Opinion...

With the small amount of talent this season possesses, I had a really hard time picking out a favorite. By the time the entire group of Top 24 had performed in there first week of LIVE! showcasing, I had my favorites picked. Though some like Lily Scott, Alex Lambert and Katelyn Epperly have been eliminated, I still have a couple of favorites hanging around. I'm siding with four, but I'm sure about only three of them.

Starting my list is the 24 year old single mom, Crystal Bowersox, from Ohio. Crystal tore herself away and ahead of the pack early on with performances that bring to mind the likes of Janis Joplin, Alanis Morisette and Sheryl Crow. She can not only sing, but sing really well. Along with the guitar and dread-locks, she was misjudged earlier as the hippie chick. But as time has gone by, she has proved that not only does she have the goods but she also knows how to use them right. She's the one I'm rooting for before everyone else.

The sad thing about her is that she doesn't have that wholesome appeal the American Idol wants, and that just may cost her gold. But even if she doesn't win, if left to her true artistic nature and not mold her into cookie-cutter pop, she can carve out her own Grammy.

Second in the list is the 23 year old rocker from Illinois, Lee DeWyze. Lee is the under-dog of the season, having being pimped next-to-nothing and coming across the camera first-time in the second solo round of Hollywood when he sang 'You Found Me'. His raspy vocals exude a grunge-like feel that remind me very much of the Season 7 winner, David Cook.

While he is still ahead of the pack simply because of his vocals, he needs to give us a taste of his artistic ability. He needs to pick up a song and completely switch it up. If not, then he should cover bands like Kings of Leon, My Chemical Romance, Creed and Radioplay. But I'm still on the option of changing up a song and making it up his own.
Third on the list is the 16 year old Aaron Kelly from Pennsylvania who happens to share the same birthday as Lee. Okay, don't give me those looks, it's a piece of trivia that my sister has stumbled upon and is not letting go.

Aaron here is extremely commercial and also pretty talented. What puts him on spot 3, is that he lacks the experience which Lee and Crystal have. That is what puts them ahead of him in the competition. Sailing on the common roads of Pop & Country, this kid is going straight ahead. Right now he's sweeping the grand-ma votes all over America. I'm expecting him to go smooth till Top 7 at least and then maybe fall into a rough spot. But like I said, he's extremely commercial so he's got the nod from the judges. He's yet to mess up, his song choices are spot on. This kid is in it to give some mean competition.

Now I'm completely sure about these three, but about the next one I'm not so sure. Siobhan Magnus, the 20 year old screecher from Massachusetts. Now if you notice the picture on the right, can you guess what she's doing?

You're probably guessing she is screaming, screeching, hitting a high note or something along the same lines. And this is what has dropped her to the lowest spot on the list of my favorites. These high notes are getting on my nerves, no doubt they are her best assets. But right now she's exploiting them to the point that they are becoming a concussive blows to her image. She needs to go lower in her register and gives us some artistic insight, so that we have an idea what kind of album she will be putting out if she wins. I'm hoping she gets back on the train that's going ahead. If she does, she definitely has a spot in the Top 6.

About the rest, they haven't wowed me much yet. I'm getting abit of the winner's vibe from Casey James, but nothing from the rest. They're above average at best!

Who are you rooting for?

8 comments:

Opaque said...

Saadi, out of those blogs that I promoted at my spot, you are the only one who took my advise seriously. I am proud of you bhai!

You have created a very good niche here. Brilliant! Keep writing!!! You will always have my support!

Saadi said...

@ Brosreview

Aww...thanks! :D

The Write Girl said...

Hi Saadi,

I agree with your list here. I think the four you've mentioned are strong competitors for the most part. I think Crystal is by far the most consistent and she may just go all the way. I really like Siobhan. I think her quirkiness is cool. Lol at Aaron and the grandma vote. I will say that Big Mike has put in some good perfomances and idol hasn't had an R&B vocal winner since Fantasia. I wouldn't mind any of the four above winning though. Great review : )

Saadi said...

@ Write Girl

I like Siobhan's rawness too....many people do, but many people are also getting turned off by her high notes! I'm hoping she gets her act together soon!!

Big Mike can sweep a victory, but that doesn't guarantee success in the recording industry! He doesn't have younger generation captured and the younger generation is the biggest spender!

Sorcerer said...

Hey!! was checking out your blog after a short break.

where are you buddy?Long time no see>
you alright?

Sorcerer said...

:)
Hey buddy!! Long time No.see..
where are you>?

The Write Girl said...

Hi Saadi,

I'm just sending a message your way. I hope you start writing again. Take care.

Sorcerer said...

hey dude...
where are you these days? busy with studies.
Hope you are doing well! and is in good health.
:)

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails