Saturday, February 27, 2010

American Idol Top 24 Wind-Up

 

I'm mega-late on posting the Top 24 Finalists on the current season of American Idol. I'm pretty sure those of you who are following the current season are well aware of all these people. We just had the first elimination the day before yesterday and now it's down to the Top 20.
Frankly speaking, I'm not impressed with this bunch. I feel the Season 8 and most definitely Season 7, had a far more talented group collectively speaking. However one thing I do have to say, that this time round there is more variety. I don't think there has been a indie singer on Idol ever before. Nor do I think there has ever been an African American Country Singer. Collectively speaking, it's an average group. However as they continue to progress(Those who progress that is), will hopefully improve as they rack up their skills on charisma, stage presence, vocals, audience interaction and the whole slew of skills needed to be an artist.

One thing I do however have to complain about is that several contestants who have reached Top 24, I feel shouldn't have been there. The two contestants who's exit surprised me greatly was the 29 year old Jazz styled, Angela Martin and the soulful 16 year old, Thaddeus Johnsson. These two people had me completely bowled over with their superb vocals. Angela's rendition of Estelle's 'American Boy'.You can check it out here

Things however didn't turn out to be all that bad for her in the end. Ellen DeGeneres, the newly instated American Idol judge, invited Angela on her show and told her that Kara Dioguardi will be writing a song for her and she will help her in scoring a record deal. Way to go, Angela! And yeah, way to go Ellen!

Those of you interested in that announcement, can check it out here. Also watch Angela perform 'Superwoman' by Alicia Keys. 

Thaddeus Johnsson was the bigger upset for me, especially since after Chris Golightly was disqualified for some contracts he avoided mentioning. So anyhow, long story short, Chris was cast out and was replaced by the 20 year old college student, Tim Urban.
The camera time Chris Golightly got in Hollywood Round couldn't have been more than 15 seconds. So I have no idea how much credible of a singer he was and whether his original placing in the Top 24 was just because of his camera ready story of being an orphan since birth and the sad fact of never having a family to spend Christmas with. Thaddeus who had clearly won over with his rendition of Michael Jackson's 'Man in the Mirror'. He clearly could have been a front runner in the competition and I so badly wanted to support him. But instead we got Tim Urban, who has yet to prove himself and personally speaking, I believe his casting is just because of his good looks. They needed something the tweens could gush over. Bah, Idol producers are douche bags.

Who are my favorites?!

I do have my eyes on a couple of contestants, but I'll be revealing them later. And yes, Tyler Grady's elimination was a complete shocker. I was expecting Jermaine Sellers or Alex Lambert to go and I sincerely hope that next week they do. 
What do you guys have to say?

6 comments:

Josephine said...

Saadi,
Great post! Have to admit that I watch American Idol only at the finals, just to get and idea who and what is winning. The whole talent show is a great idea, as there are so many young and talented singers that should be discovered and AI is definitely a great venue for them. Personally I have trouble to keep up with all new artists that look and sound so much alike... Hope they will not get lost in the big ocean of the world of entertainment. It's easier to win than stay on the top.
Like your commentary a lot!!
-Alex

Saadi said...

@ Alex

yeah, AI is indeed a great platform for people to launch themselves!!!

The Write Girl said...

Hi Saadi,

Compared to last season, the singers have been a disappointment to me. Couple that with Cowell leaving after the season and I am skeptical about Idol's staying power. Hopefully things will begin to pick up. Glad to see you posting again. Take care.

Saadi said...

@ Write Girl

I don't think AI will vanish, but with X Factor coming to US..there will no doubt be struggle of popularity!!

Thanks for the comment!

Opaque said...

You give us a great coverage here! Keep up with the great work!

Saadi said...

@ Brosreview

Thanks for the comment!!

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails