Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Turn It Up; Pixie Lott


One of the artists that made their debut in 2009 and quickly caught my attention is the English singer/song writer Victoria Louise Lott, better known as, Pixie Lott. The album is utterly awesome and possibly one of the best debuts of 2009. She is a pretty darn good vocalist no doubt, but even better than that, she is an amazing song writer. There is a wittiness in her lyrics that I've witnessed before in Katy Perry's debut album, One of the Boys.

While Perry is more inclined towards rock and pop, Pixie here goes along the R&B and soul route. I feel that she has made some really sensible decision at her debut disc and it's no surprise that two of her three singles have reached #1 in UK.

The track listing is as follows;
  1. Mama Do (Uh Oh, Uh Oh)
  2. Cry Me Out
  3. Band Aid
  4. Turn It Up
  5. Boys & Girls
  6. Gravity
  7. My Love
  8. Jack
  9. Nothing Compares
  10. Here We Go Again
  11. The Way the World Works
  12. Hold Me In Your Arms
  13. Use Somebody (Bonus Version)
  14. When Love Takes Over (Bonus Version)
The album has mostly easy going pop tracks, with the occasional presence of ballads. There are two dance numbers, I'm glad Lott didn't let her label push her into that direction. With so many acts bursting into the market and every other being a dance act, is making lots of acts sound cliche. Really happy Lott stuck to what she knew best.

'Boys & Girls', 'Turn It Up' and 'Here We Go Again' are the three dance numbers. 'Boys & Girls' has become the second single from Lott and has achieved great success. It's also one of the my favorite tracks. Plus the video is really awesome. Nothing really high tech about it, but it just seems like such a cool party song being played in a really cool party. It's awesome!

'Here We Go Again' is produced by Red One, famous for producing hits like 'Pokerface' and 'Just Dance' for Lady GaGa. This track is another dance floor anthem and a darn good one.

'Mama Do (Uh Oh, Uh Oh)' is a perky fun number where Lott describes her distress if her parents get to know of her lunatics. It happens to be her debut single and is another really awesome track off the record. It is one of the only two tracks which does not have Pixie on writing credits, but she has made it her own with her one of a kind vocals.

'Band Aid' is a fun pop number, kind of seems like a Natasha Beddingfield song if you ask me. But there is a young generation vibe in Pixie's voice and it's totally playful. There is abit too much noise from the back ground singers, but it's a good track. This playful and originality is also noticed in the track 'Jack', where she turns the everybody knows nursery rhyme into a quirky song.

'Cry Me Out' and 'Gravity' are two of the better ballads off the record. 'Cry Me Out' has been released as the third single, while 'Gravity' is slated to be the next. I'm glad 'Gravity' is selected as a single, it's easily the most noticeable track off the record. I absolutely love the piano play in this track, very Alicia Keys. 'My Love' is another shining track. Somewhat of a more pop ballad than I would have expected. But it is good no doubt.

'Nothing Compares' is a heart wrenching ballad, however this is one track which I have yet to grow a liking too. My best friend thinks this is one of the best tracks from the record, but I don't. Give it a listen, maybe you will like it.

'The Way the World Works' and 'Hold Me In Your Arms' are the last two tracks. While the former is one of my favorite, the latter doesn't do much for me. 'Hold Me In Your Arms' is also the other track which doesn't have Lott on writing credits. It's a strange world! One track she's not there and I love it. Another track she's not there and I don't like it at all.

Pixie will be introducing herself to the US market sometime this year. When I am not sure, but I'm sure she will be doing great. 'Boys & Girls' has already charted in US and has received ravings, so I'm guessing she'll do pretty well.

What do you say?

Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; saadkhalidkhan@gmail.com)

2 comments:

Opaque said...

I am not sure whether she will make it or not. Today, anything sells!

Saadi said...

@ Brosreview

She does hav a good sound and her songs are nice as well...with her album selling 300,000 + in UK I think she can sell jst as mch in US as well!!

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails