Sunday, January 3, 2010

Just Like You; Allison Iraheta



While Kris Allen may have taken the title and Adam Lambert may have generated the biggest hype, it can't be any clearer that the real star of the previous season was the fiery 16 year old red-head, Allison Iraheta. Driving the nation crazy with her penchant for rock n' roll and blues, this girl was a dark-horse in the race. Of all the contestant this year, Iraheta's debut album was the one I was really waiting for.

Signing to the label 19/Jive who have made it their motto to churn out one pop act after another, proceeded to take this prodigy the same root. However I'm glad they didn't make her into another Miley clone, because this girl here can out-sing the Disney Princesses with her hands tied behind her back.

Taking into consideration extremely creative names like Max Martin, Howard Benson, Toby Gad, P!NK, Chris Daughtry, Kevin Rudolp and Kara DioGuardi, this record was simply destined to be rock solid. Keeping her bluesy vocals intact, Iraheta treads into the Pop Rock and Punk fields. With many radio-ready tracks, Iraheta has done an amazing job with her debut. I couldn't be any less happy for her.

The track listing is as follows;
  1. Friday I'll Be Over You
  2. Robot Love
  3. Just Like You
  4. Don't Waste the Pretty
  5. Scars
  6. Pieces
  7. D is for Dangerous
  8. Holiday 
  9. Still Breathing
  10. No One Else
  11. Beat Me Up
  12. Don't Wanna Be Wrong (Bonus Track)
  13. Friday I'll Be Over You - Spanish Version (Bonus Track)
With a particular yen for guitar riffing, this album is simply mind-blowing. It seems I've said this a million times but Allison's vocals are nothing short of amazing. Having the seasoned perfection and experience of the rock n' roll legends like Janice Joplin and Pat Benatar.

With several fast-paced and hard-melodies, the rock chick in Iraheta ascends to the level of P!NK. 'Friday I'll Be Over You', 'Robot Love', 'Holiday', 'Beat Me Up' and 'Don't Wanna Be Wrong' are clearly fan favorites. These tracks simply soar and keeping on going higher and higher. Particular stand-outs are 'Robot Love' and 'Holiday'. Besides being the bluesy gal she is, these songs prove another point on her part. This girl can be just as modern and compete with the current female artists.

'Just Like You', 'Scars', 'Pieces', and 'Trouble Is' are my favorite tracks of the record. These encase everything I have loved about her. Her growling vocals! Her soulful renditions! Her vocal maturity! These songs show a great range of diversity Iraheta has, which is something I feel is lacking in both Allen and Lambert's debut record.

'D is for Dangerous', 'No One Else', 'Still Breathing' and 'You Don't Know Me' are amalgamated tracks. Taking the bluesy Iraheta and blending them to the current pop trends. The first of the three is a particular stand-out and simply can not be missed. One of the my early favorites!

'Don't Waste the Pretty' is far too pop and is probably the only track I would have liked not to be present given a first choice. Though Iraheta once again amazes me. Quoting a possibly drunk Paula Abdul, "You hear one note and it's undeniably Allison".

To those who didn't vote for Allison on the Top 4 Night, this record will indeed make them feel sorry they voted for the wrong person. My personal favorite record of 2009. Please do check it out!

Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; saadkhalidkhan@gmail.com)

11 comments:

Opaque said...

Not bad (you know my music taste). Thanks for sharing the review!

Saadi said...

@ Brosreview

No problemo! Hope u checked it out!

The Write Girl said...

What a raving review...I really liked Allison on A.I. and hope she has a great career

Saadi said...

@ Write Girl

Allison is indeed extremely awesome! :D

Unknown said...

great review , you expressed on writing what I felt listening to her album. Good job.
Allison rocks!!!

IrahetaFan66 said...

I loved your comments and I agree that Allison's album is gorgeous, and song after song well put together. I do love Don't Waste the Pretty. It is one of my favorites, (and Allison's too)

Saadi said...

@ Pamela

That's my job! :D

Saadi said...

@ IrahetaFan 66

Yeah...her acoustic version of the song simply blew me away!

Josh Diaz said...

I love your reviews Saad!
:) This album is really cool, i like robot love and scars a lot!

Saadi said...

@ Josh

Thanks a mill! :D

Saadi said...

@ Josh

Thanks a mill! :D

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails