Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cell Block Tango



One of my really good friend recommended this clip to me from the Academy Award winning movie 'Chicago'. He had pressed me several times to view it previously, but for one reason or the other I overlooked it. Today, however, during one of our chat meet he passed forward the URL address for it. Finally my lazy bum knowing I'm only a click away from seeing the clip at last went ahead with it. And in just one viewing the damn routine got me to download the entire movie Chicago and I've already gone through it.

Though a few other of the numbers dawned on me but none took the place of the Cell Block Tango(He Had It Coming). It's just one of those really good things that you can't get tired of seeing. As of today my three most watched Youtube vids are Cell Block Tango, the Bollywood Number by the Top 5 Girls on So You Think You Can Dance and Kelly Clarkson's rendition of 'If' originally by Janet Jackson.

Catherine Zeta Jones who played as Velma Kelly alongside Renee Zellweger(Roxie Hart) and Richard Gere(Billy Flynn). She's one of the 'Merry Murderess', particularly the one who identifies herself with a smoking cigarette. It's actually the little things that have made this little piece so bloody fantastic. The twist of the leg when the first murderess was telling her unfortunate temper tale, the way the second murderess draws the red handkerchief from the man, how the third murderess wraps her leg and draws the man towards her and then many more.

Speaking of the third murderess she has the second most dominating stage presence out of all. I guess that's because of her long slender constantly straight with shoulders broaded and her commanding swagger. Catherine takes the first place no doubt. But my favorite of the lot, is the little blonde Hungarian number who pleads not guilty. Her take on her partner is far more tender and delicate compared to the others who are like jumping cats.

I knew this was definitely one for the blog the moment I fell in love with and just knew that I had to share it with you all. Take a peek and enjoy!

Copyright © Saad Khan 2009 (Karachi, Pakistan; saadkhalidkhan@gmail.com)

2 comments:

Opaque said...

Arguably, this is one of the most fine musicals I've seen. Thanks for sharing such a great piece!

Saadi said...

It's a close tie for me between Chicago and Sweeney Todd! ;)

You May Find These Interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails